Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Old Future of Education Reform

Well.

After some serious work in the library, I think I've finally completed the first edition of my final video for Digital Ethnography!  There's probably some room for improvement, and I look forward to getting some feedback about it from Dr. Wesch and all the other Diggies.

If you've been following the videos I've been working on, you could probably guess from the title that this latest video is an extension of some of my previous work regarding this idea that the current cries for education reform aren't really all that revolutionary (in one sense of the word).  I play with the idea that these reform ideas are old and that they failed the first time around, and then look into some ideas (especially Postman's and Weingartner's) about how this failure happened.  The video culminates with some thoughts--greatly (and gratefully) influenced by Dr. Wesch--about how maybe this time around the reforms have the potential to stick.  If they're done right, that is.

It's a pretty drastic shift from my original vision for the video, but because some interviews fell through I needed to go a different direction.  I've also mellowed quite a bit in some of my older views about "traditional education," and thanks to everyone on the DigEth team I've come to see that there's plenty of room for the peaceful and complementary co-existence of traditional education methods and the new ones.

Maybe ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment